There are millions of football players around the world and any number of them could have appeared in this index, however the final list was created by taking the players with the most professional appearances and those who have played for the largest number of teams. Although many footballers have never relocated in their careers, we included those players with noteworthy success for comparison.
In order to create the Footballer Relocation Index, we utilised several open resources to track the cities each player has relocated to during their senior career. Starting with the first city where each footballer debuted as a professional player, we calculated, in chronological order, the distance between each relocation point using the shortest possible route (air). Data is correct up until Wednesday 26th July 2017.
Number of Clubs Played
Number of different teams a footballer has played for during their professional senior career.
Trophies won as a professional footballer in all of the possible national and international competitions their team has participated in.
Total amount of money payed for the transfer of the player from one team to another during their whole career (only payed loans are taken into account).
Final number determined by calculating the difference between today (or day of retirement) and the year of professional debut.
- We obtained the geographical coordinates of each destination using Google Maps API.
- Given the geographical coordinates A = (1, 1) and B = (2, 2), the distance between cities is calculated using the haversine formula:
d(A,B) = 2r arcsin((sin2(2-12)+cos(1) cos(2)sin2(2-12))1/2 )
where r is the radius of the earth ~6,371 km (3,959 mi).
- Each distance has an average error of ~3.00% corresponding to the distance between each geographical coordinate and the actual location of the city center and accumulated truncation errors.
- Information gathered is correct up to 25 July 2017.
- Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales are all counted as one country, the UK. Monaco is different from France, even though it is in the same league. Turkey is counted as Asia.